Thursday, April 19, 2012

With my own two hands

"I can change the world, with my own two hands
make it a better place, with my own two hands..."
is from a song by Ben Harper and Jack Johnson (listen here)


On January 11, I stopped to photograph this mattress and boxspring. Every day as I drove my daughter to elementary school, I would notice it peeking through the trees. Now that summer is coming, the leaves are filling in and muting the image. But today I decided I was tired of looking at it.

I knew there was also an old TV, which made me sadder because it's in front of what used to be an old majestic tree. I had called the city asking to pick up the mattress, but this stuff was dumped on what is technically BC Hydro land as part of the train track easement. I'm not sure what happened to the request.

Once I started picking up things, I realized just how much was hiding in the underbrush. I had no idea there was this much stuff.

It continued along the tracks behind this recently cleared land. Another new house going in, and piles of ancient old garbage and new dumped garbage off the back of the property. The owner drove up in his car, talking on his cell phone and asked me what I was doing. I was happy to tell him I was cleaning up for Earth Day. He let me know it wasn't on his property, it was on the tracks. I said I knew, but I want Canada to be clean and I don't like looking at it every day. I don't think he quite knew what to do in this situation he'd never been in before.

You can hardly see it in this picture, but I decided to spray paint keep canada clean.ca on the mattress. Seeing as how I'm always complaining people are cleaning up without saying anything. When I got home I used the website reporting tool at  Surrey.ca  and told them what I'd done and asked them to pick up 68 Ave. near 138 Street.

I might have to do something similar here at this property on the corner of 128 Street and 88 Ave. that's been often mentioned on this blog.

What to do with Mr. Bajwa though? He's still lurking in the weeds. Maybe I'll have to repurpose this sign as a Keep Canada Clean Sign. I could always take it home and hold a political campaign sign party with Mayor Dianne.
 
Here's flowers to end with. This neglected corner is next to several new homes being built and before I took the close up picture I had to pull out quite a bit of junk.

The flowers are almost lost in the ivy and weeds, but they are enough reward for me for today.

I've changed the world with my own two hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...