Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dec. 15 - I went for a walk today. . .

This time I was walking in a Newton neighborhood, with the school kids on our way to the Bell Performing Arts Centre.  It was pretty obvious that this neighborhood was different than mine. Yes there was the odd fast food packaging or drink cups thrown away, but all in all it was a nice walk. It is probably because someone is picking up the litter along that stretch regularily.
The strangest thing we saw was this...

Yes, a broom in a tree.  My friend said it's obvious what's happened. There was a horrible witch crash! Perhaps she hasn't been able to get the tow broom to come out and move her broom yet.

The thing I found disappointing is that as we approached Sullivan Heights Park and made our way up to the Centre, it didn't feel like someone was anticipating our arrival and had cleaned up for us.
( I usually pick up in front of my house and sweep my porch when I have guests coming. In fact someone arrived early at my house the other day and I was embarrassed because the last thing I was going to do was sweep the front steps and I didn't get a chance to.)
All those kids walked past a line of  thrown out cups, cigarette packages, bottles and cans without even noticing them.

It was all just a part of the landscape.  In fact I wondered if anyone else in that long line even noticed what we were passing on the ground. Having litter around has become considered normal.


Stuck in a corner were more Election signs.  I would like to know how much the fine is that politicians pay for the signs they do not pick up by a certain deadline.

There are others who are frustrated with the amount of litter in Surrey. There was a letter to the editor in the Surrey Leader on Dec. 14. which read in part...
"Yesterday I once again cleaned up your mess. You dumped about 100 pounds of food along the hydro path that runs between 128 Street and 132 Street. What a mess it was, too. For some reason, you disposed of raw chicken, frozen appetizers, breaded chicken breasts, chicken nuggets, shrimp rings, quiches, salami and more. . . . 
I wonder why you decided to haul this heavy load out to the hydro lines in the dark of night to get rid of it. What is wrong with your garbage can?. . .
The area where you dumped this is enjoyed by dog walkers, cyclists, joggers and people out for a leisurely walk. It really makes a walk hard to enjoy with smelly, rotting food lying about. . .
You really should be ashamed of yourself."
This then led me to look up other letters about the subject and I found several from 2008.. so it's an old old problem. One responder said, "Stop complaining and just pick it up."  I hope my blog has shown that it is way more than one person can pick up.
As my friend said last May when he got the first ideas which led to this blog. "If I picked up all the garbage I saw when I walked, I would be doing nothing but picking up garbage all day and all night."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...